Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Youth Group

Josh and I have begun volunteering at the youth group at our church. We haven't split the group into middle school and high school yet because there haven't been enough older kids yet (there are 3 I think from They only have two leaders right now, and sometimes only one can make it. So we are sorely needed just to have a couple more sets of hands and eyes. So far it's been really interesting.

Josh has already been able to help deal with the rowdy boys: they can't stop talking but they do participate and seem to want to talk about everything. They also ask a lot of questions. They're a handful but they're also a lot of fun. I'm starting to memorize names (I have 5 memorized so far). They are really growing on me and I looked forward to seeing them all day yesterday.

I've been doing recon on the girls. They have a lack of interest and don't want to be involved at all. Last night they all said they didn't want to play the game outside with the boys. The only thing I could think of was "Whoever doesn't play gets to sit and talk to me for the duration of the game." I don't know if that's what got them to play, but they all played. I had work clothes on, so I was a referee/boundary person for the game. Next week I need to make sure that I have sneakers and stuff to run around in. Because I think I've realized that I have to get engaged myself and encourage the girls from that standpoint.

I also think I need to separate the girls from the boys for a little bit. I'm thinking one night we should split them and lead them separately. That way, the girls can't avoid paying attention and answering and such. I'm going to draw them out. I'm also going to help teach them about respect.

I get the feeling that Josh and I may be leading a group on our own before too much longer, since we're going to split the group into two groups soon. I think it'll be interesting.

Over the weekend, my friends and I also went to NYC for lunch and the Forbes Museum. Despite the rain, it was nice to get out of the usual weekend and do something different and fun. I didn't take any pictures, but perhaps next time.

No comments: