Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Almost finished in this apartment

I am moving out of my apartment and into a lovely townhouse about 30 minutes away (to be closer to work and friends while not going too far from my wonderful church). I'm hoping to get everything moved on Tuesday or Wednesday next week, depending on when the owner of the house is okay with it.

Until about a week and a half ago, I had been planning to live with my friend Amber in an apartment of our choosing. But last minute, Amber had to back out and I had to scramble to find another place to live that wouldn't break the bank. I have been so blessed. I asked my pastor to pray that I would find a place, and suddenly I had offers all over the place. I settled on living with a friend of a friend who has a house near my office. I'll have my own bedroom and bathroom, and I'll get to learn what it's like to live with multiple animals (two dogs and two cats). I'm really looking forward to this.

I have finally gotten around to starting the packing process. On Friday, I had the whole place to myself, so I pulled apart all the little places Katie and I had been using to store random junk in the living and dining rooms. My cookware collection was living on the dining room floor because I had nowhere else to put it! So I moved all of that into the kitchen to wash before packing. And then I attacked everything in the living and dining rooms. I even rearranged the furniture to make it easier for me to move everything out. It took me 5 hours to go through everything, but I had 4 bags of trash (junk that had piled up that I couldn't give to goodwill). It looks so much nicer in here now.

I also packed up all my movies and gaming systems (and games) to prevent myself from getting distracted and playing games when I should be packing. And I have 5 boxes of books packed. It's progress. This week after work, my awesome friend Laura and I will be cleaning and packing my room. I intend to live out of a suitcase for about a week so that I can box up everything else this week. I still haven't chosen my clothing to keep available, but almost everything that's clothing is going into plastic bags until I can wash it all (and not pay $3.25 per wash/dry!). So one of my first projects when I move is laundry, and while I'm waiting for that to happen, I'll be unpacking.

At least I'm taking vacation next week to make it easier to deal with the move. I'm really hopeful that I will have a chance to rest most of the time. I haven't had a real vacation when I haven't been sick (or gotten sick over vacation, which was the case for Christmas 2007 since I was hospitalized right at the end of vacation) since February 2007! It's been way way too long. I'm attempting to fix that as of next week. I'm already planning to take off Christmas to New Years this year and take at least 3 full weeks of vacation next year (not in a row).

No comments: