Sunday, July 26, 2009

Meal Planning

Wow, I have been pretty horrendous about posting. Things have been insanely busy this month and it's not really slowing down. One of (many) saving graces of this month has been learning to make casseroles without a recipe. I made two this month and I much preferred the second, which has ground turkey (browned first and then with taco seasoning added), 1/4 bag frozen spinach, 1 cup rice, black-eyed peas, and some edamame with a layer of colby jack cheese on top. One hour in the oven at 300 degrees. It turned out pretty awesome.

I'm also making another attempt at meal planning. And this time, I did it according to the sales at the grocery store this week and made the grocery list and kept it at budget. I'm pretty happy with it. I got the inspiration from OrgJunkie and her Menu Plan Monday. So here's my menu plan for this week:

Monday: leftovers and party food for dessert (I help with youth group at church and we're having a going away party for two of the kids who are moving to FL at the end of the week)
Tuesday: London Broil with Mushrooms and green beans
Wednesday: Mahi Mahi with rice
Thursday: turkey franks (something to try), baked potatoes (w cheese), and summer squash
Friday: leftovers
Weekend is always up in the air, and I usually have extra leftovers and such. So no planning for that.

mpmpencil

I have not tried either of these recipes before, but I have almost all of the ingredients already and I'm trying to use what I have before I move in 3 weeks. So I'm keeping my shopping to a minimum. I am also trying to increase the amount of fruit in my diet, so I'm buying some with the knowledge that if I don't finish it I can bring it to youth group on Monday night next week in a fruit salad. But I'm limiting how much I get so I have a chance at being able to finish it on my own. And if it's not enough, then I can add more next week.

No comments: