Thursday, January 1, 2009

Goals

I don't typically make resolutions for the new year. I've learned that if I'm not ready to commit to something and I try to do it anyway, I'll fail. There are times when God has pushed me to do something, and I just have to do it right away. Those times are completely random and those are the times I succeed.

My current projects:

Nutrition: 30 days without any meat. I have been thinking and praying about this for quite some time due to a suspicion that the preservatives in meats are exacerbating my migraines. On Dec 18, I was ready to make a change and see how my body reacts. I have done exceptionally well with this so far, not including yesterday when I had to eat meat in order to eat dinner at all (business trip and the restaurant had nothing meat free). I ended up having a little seafood but I tried to eat more of the pasta and vegetables than the scallops. I have also been dealing with my migraines sufficiently better that I might consider continuing with this beyond 30 days.

Exercise: Walk for 20+ minutes every day. This may turn into jogging or running, but I'm working on something more attainable to my head. Walking is easy. Getting outside to do it every day is the challenge. I don't care if I just walk around the mall or whatever, but I need to spend more time doing stuff. Running the stairs at the hospital (client site) from the basement to the 4th floor proved that. In hotels, I might swap out walking for doing laps in the pool, and when it gets warm I might switch up with other activities. For now, walking it is.

Quiet Time: Reading through the Bible front to back. I've been taking my time with this and I'm trying to create a habit of reading every day. I do skip around every once in a while if God tells me to read something specific at any given time, but I get back to where I left off after that. I'm currently about halfway through Nehemiah. My sub-goal is to get to a point where I'm reading every day. It's something I keep halfheartedly attempting to do, and I need to focus. While I have my mind in the right direction I need to get better with reading His Word and to start memorizing.

These are my focus areas for right now. The only one that I'm starting today is the walking one. The others I've been slowly progressing with over time.

No comments: